1 February 2016

Paperartsy stamp Release - Kay Carley - Cosmos and Alliums

Hi everyone, I'm delighted and excited to be joining in tonight as a 'wingman' helper for my lovely friend Kay Carley's first stamp release for PaperArtsy Stamps. I'm thrilled to bits for her and the stamps are gorgeous so I'm sure they'll be a huge success!

You can read all about the stamps over on the PaperArtsy blog and below is the introduction video from Leandra showcasing all the samples from Kay's helpers.

The first set is ECK01 Cosmos flowers and I decided to give them a more painterly style for my first sample using the stamped flowers as a guide for the painting over the top.

I painted them with a mix of the Fresco Paints with the PaperArtsy Drying Retarder to help the application with fine brushes. My technique gives a more realistic finish by using the stamping as a guide for painting. All of the samples have been painted with combinations of the five Fresco Finish paint colours we were asked to work with which were Sage, Hint of Mint, Lilac, Pansy and Sherbet.

The next example is traditionally coloured inside the lines and shows Kay's beautiful linework on the stamps.

As before I've mixed the Fresco paints with some PaperArtsy Drying Retarder and gone for a dotted stroke with the various colours, layering them up and drying in between. I continued the dotty theme in the background adding a swathe of tiny dotted paint flowers over and above the carved PaperArtsy Grunge Paste that I coloured with the Sage Fresco Finish paint. The butterfly has been coloured with Fresco mixed with PA Matte Glaze which is another great product I use often for adding translucency and blendability to acrylic paint. Kay has added some delightful accessory stamps and sentiments to her stamp sets as well as the focal images and I've used them in the backgrounds of my samples stamped in the various paints.

This 3D sample is a little chunky canvas that has a more mixed media style and I've used stamps from both sets for this one. The canvas is completely covered with scrunched tissue painted and highlighted with the Fresco paints. I stamped the butterflies and alliums on separate pieces of tissue painted on the back then cut out and applied to the canvas with matte medium. The Cosmos and sentiment are stamped and painted on card then cut out and applied over everything else.

 

The delicate EKC01 Allium stamps are perfect for all types of techniques and here I've stamped the bud with at least two colours of the paint sponged onto the stamp, darkest in the middle and lightest on the outside which gives a nice impression of depth. The full flower Alliums are embossed with sparkly embossing powder over a gently sponged circle of pink paint to bring them forward from the background layered stamping, I then went over the embossing lightly with paint as the texture gives a bit more interest, there's some highlighting with white pen as well.

The close up shows the texture from the painted sparkly embossing powder.

For my final sample I did a paint resist technique, embossing the purple paint stamped Alliums with clear powder then painting over the top with pink paint which is wiped back before it's completely dry to reveal the purple Alliums underneath. Being a chalk paint, it can dry extremely quickly so if that happens and the paint can't be wiped back a light sanding normally does the trick.

I added some extra stamping with the paints and some white pen highlights to finish off.

I know I'm going to be using Kay's stamps continuously, they're versatile for techniques and many occasions and there is such a great balance within the sets, I'm looking forward to trying them out with some bright colours for summer. I hope you've enjoyed the reveals from Leandra so far, lots of PaperArtsy goodness to come as well.

I'm back with another post tomorrow, I hope you can join me again then.

Chris x

 

9 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning, stunning samples Christine, just beautiful!! Those new stamps look amazing! Love how you coloured the flowers and those grasses look amazing!!

Fiona said...

I received an email re the launch of the new Paperartsy stamps but haven't had a chance to look yet. These are very Kay Carley ...love what you've done with them. x

rachel said...

stunning samples - really beautiful x

Carol S. said...

Kay's stamps are amazing and your samples are stunning. The stamps are so versatile and your painting is fantastic. Love all the designs and looking forward to getting my hands on these stamps. Hugs, Carol s.xx

Words and Pictures said...

Gorgeous work with Kay's beautiful new stamps - bravo!
Alison x

Carole C. said...

Hi Chris. Have been looking forward to seeing these. They are stunning. What gorgeous stamps and the colours you have used are beautiful. Carole x

Cami said...

Gorgeous! Stunning! Words just can't express the total beauty of each of your projects! It's like canvas work! Wow!

craftimamma said...

Wow Christine your samples for Kay are breathtaking! What an awesome display to showcase the new stamps.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Julia said...

Fabulous examples using those lovely new stamps and paints. So many techniques and beautiful results. I love them all. X